Our take: Things that pop into my head as I consider the new Rixe EP, Les Nerfs A Vif:
1. There is some deep, order-craving part of my brain that is upset by the fact that this is a 33RPM 7" with a big hole. Obviously, the big-hole 45 is a clue to the listener that you are bringing them the HIT SINGLE™, while the 33RPM 7" is one of the premier formats for hardcore. WHICH IS IT, RIXE? I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY!
2. I think that we may be approaching what I'd like to coin, "peak oi!," i.e. that point when people who work in punk record stores, do zines, or just follow contemporary punk music really closely get fucking sick of oi! music. We're not there yet, because this EP totally rips, but I'm already starting to hear demos from the soundalike bands, and soon those demos will be EPs and then LPs and may of those bands will miss the point entirely and we'll pretty much be exactly where we are with "Wipers-inspired post-punk" right now, so enjoy the feeling while it lasts, kids.
3. This record reminds me so much of No Hope for the Kids that it isn't even funny. It's recorded and mixed very similarly, and while the vocals here are shouted rather than sang and the drums are a bit more primitive, the guitar riffing and chord progressions are a dead ringer for NHFTK. That's a good thing in my book, but I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned before.
4. The word "nerfs" really cracks me up. Despite having 10+ years of French under my belt I haven't the slightest idea what it means, and I think that if I Google that information it may ruin it for me.
5. I wonder if Rixe will take the Sheer Mag path and deliver a third 7" that very closely follows the same aesthetic template as their first two records. Is that what the people want? Will either of those bands ever do full-lengths? If so, how will that change things? Am I over-thinking this? Probably so.
6. I think the first pressing of this may have sold out in a day, which is nuts. If they follow the pattern from the first 7" of making the represses on different colors of paper you need to act fast if you want that baller yellow sleeve / label version.
7. This rips. You've been waiting a long time for it and it's worth the wait.